CHICKEN TIKKA RECIPE | STOVE TOP & OVEN
INGREDIENTS OF CHICKEN TIKKA, STYLE
Chicken: Use medium-sized chicken pieces that weigh 750 grams. (Live chicken weighs 1-1.25 kg) Smaller chicken has tender meat. The bigger bird would require longer marination of at least 8 hours.
Wet spices: The wet spices are ginger, garlic, green chili, and papaya paste in the round plate. Papaya paste is used as a meat tenderizer.
Yogurt: Yogurt adds a little tanginess and is also a meat tenderizer.
Lemon: Lemon helps with the tanginess.
Common Indian spices: The dry spices are common Indian spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, salt, red chilli flakes and Kashmiri chilli powder. Kashmiri chilli has bright red color and moderately spicy taste. You can substitute kashmiri chili powder with paprika, and extra chilli powder.
HOW TO MAKE PAKISTANI CHICKEN TIKKA?
CHICKEN TIKKA ON STOVE TOP
- Soak chicken in vinegar and salt solution for 20 minutes. Pro Tip: This helps clean the chicken and removes the blood in the chicken leg. You can read more about washing chicken on Cookist.com.
- Wash the chicken thoroughly after soaking and pat dry. Then insert deep cuts across the grain. The cuts should be deep and the knife should touch the bone of the chicken.
- Mix all the ingredients of marination in a bowl.
- Apply all over the chicken and marinate overnight in the fridge. Or keep for 4-6 hours outside. Cover the pot with mesh or thin cloth to allow air circulation if keeping outside.
- Cook tikka in a wide pot on medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes. Cover the pot while cooking. Then burn excess water on high heat.
- To smoke: Place tikka in a wide pot with a tight lid. Put a piece of foil or a small metal bowl in the center of the pot. Now, heat charcoal on high flame until red hot then transfer coal carefully with the help of tongs to a pan. Drizzle little oil over the coal and cover the lid tightly to trap the smoke. Smoke for 10 minutes.
- Now heat the smoked tikka on the direct flame until crispy and serve. Or alternatively, you can grill tikka will little oil on a grill pan until slightly crispy. Grill on low heat.
- 1 whole skinless chicken, cut in 4 pieces, 2 legs and 2 breasts with wings
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoon vinegar
- 1½ tablespoon Kashmiri chili powder or paprika for color
- ½ tablespoon cumin powder, roasted and grounded
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder, roasted and grounded
- 1 teaspoon or ½ tablespoon red chilli flakes, skip for less spicy
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¾ tablespoon ginger paste
- ¾ tablespoon garlic paste
- ¾ tablespoon green chilli paste, use less or skip for less spicy
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon raw green papaya paste, simply process a piece of skinned raw green papaya into a smooth paste.
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon zarda color or red color, optional, see notes
- Oil, to grease pan and cook
Soak chicken in vinegar and salt solution for 20 minutes, then wash and pat dry. Insert deep cuts across the grain.
Mix all the ingredients of marination in a bowl and apply all over the chicken. Marinate overnight in the fridge or keep for 4-6 hours outside in a cool place.
Cook tikka in a wide pot on medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes. Cover the pot while cooking. Then burn excess water on high heat.
Pro Tip: Do not overcook tikka, the meat shouldn’t come off the bones.
Heat a charcoal red hot smoke chicken for 10 minutes.
Now heat the smoked tikka on the direct flame until crispy and serve.
Pro Tip: You can place the grill on the flame and grill 2-3 tikka together. Or alternatively, you can grill tikka will little oil on a grill pan until slightly crispy. Grill on low heat.
Chicken Tikka in an oven:
- Marinate chicken as described above.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line a tray with foil and place a rack on the tray.
- Remove chicken from the marinade, shaking off excess (reserve Marinade), and place on the rack.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then slather Marinade generously on both sides.
- Bake for a further 10 minutes brush with Marinade again.
- Bake for another 10 minutes and then brush with oil.
- Increase heat to 220C/450F. Bake for a further 10 minutes until you get some nice charred spots on the chicken.
Chicken Tikka on the coal barbecue:
- After overnight marination of chicken.
- Heat coals until red hot.
- Remove chicken from the marinade, shaking off excess.
- Insert flat metal skewers on the chicken leg and breast and place skewer above the coal on the barbecue pit. Or directly place TIkka on the barbecue grill. Brush the tikka with little oil as it cooks on both sides. Cook both sides for 5 minutes each until tikka is cooked and gets a few charred marks.
- Sliced onions, washed and drained
- Green chutney
- Imli chutney
- Garlic yogurt
- Paratha or chapati
- Tried this recipe?
Chicken tikka Pakistani, tandoori chicken recipe